Points West Living - Drayton Valley

When did the community open?

This beautiful three storey community opened in the summer of 2021.

Only one person in a couple requires care. Do we need to be separated?

No. Points West Living communities are purpose built with one bedroom suites
designed to accommodate couples. At least one member of the couple must require DSL4 level care to be eligible. If at some point, the second person also requires DSL4 level care, this may also be accommodated.

How many of the suites will be available for Low Income Seniors, and what will the rent be?

All of the 50 suites are available to any adult Albertan, including those with low to moderate incomes.
Please see the table below. All rates are approximate. DSL4 rates are determined by Alberta Health.

Type of Suite Number of Suites Rental Rates Per Month
DSL4 Studio Suites 31 $2132.00
DSL4D Studio Suites 18 $2132.00
Bariatric Suite 1 $2132.00
Additional Person in 1 Bedroom Suite Independent Supportive Living   $700.00
Additional Person in 1 Bedroom Suite Requiring DSL4 Care   $2132.00
ISL 2 Bedroom 6 2995.00


Is there a choice in room size, layout?

There are a few studio floor plans, and whatever choice is available at the time of move-in will be offered to the Resident. A one-bedroom floor plan is also available to couples. The Independent Supportive Living suites are two-bedroom.

Are appliances included?

Yes, there is a microwave and a beverage size fridge provided in studio suites. There is a full sized fridge and microwave provided in one bedroom suites (no microwave in memory care suites).

What services does the rent include?

The rental rates include weekly light housekeeping, weekly linen services, basic cable, power, heat and water, three meals per day and snacks. Extra costs include personal laundry and the media bundle (telephone, extended cable, Wi-Fi).

How often does the rent go up, and by how much?

Rental rates, if they change, would increase one time per year. Any increase for Designated Supportive Living suites are based on the Alberta Health Continuing Care Accommodation Rates.

Who will be caring for the Residents and what are their qualifications?

There will be certified Health Care Aides (HCA) providing hands-on personal care such as bathing, grooming, dressing, toileting, medication assistance and other services to the Residents. Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) will perform nursing care functions, such as injections, wound dressings, assessments, and any other tasks that do not fall within an HCA's scope of practice.

The community will have an experienced Wellness Manager, with a Registered Nurse (RN) designation managing the day-to-day clinical services. The Educator for all employee care partners will also be a Registered Nurse (RN). A Registered Nurse Practitioner (NP) will provide on-call services.

Alberta Health Services will provide Health Care Professionals for case management. The RN Case Manager, in collaboration with the team (Resident and family/guardian, RN, LPN, HCA's), will develop the plan of care to meet the Resident's needs and oversee the implementation and evaluation of the plan.

Q: Who will be in charge of the building?

The clinical positions in the leadership team, as well as all others will be responsible to the General Manager. Other employee care partners will assist with hospitality services, such as food services, recreation, housekeeping, and maintenance.

Q: Will this community have its own bus service for Doctor's appointments, a bank run, shopping etc. and will there be a fee to use this service?

There is currently no plan to purchase a bus. Various transportation services already available in Drayton Valley will serve the community.

Q: What types of on-site amenities will there be?

Hair Salon, Exercise Room, Spa Room, Multi-Purpose Rooms, Hobby Room, Worship Services, Guest Suite, Family Dining Room, Cottage Living Rooms, Cottage Kitchens, Quiet Rooms, Laundry Rooms, Scooter Parking, Parking, Patios, Courtyards (secure and non-secure), Walking Paths and Gardens.

Q: Who provides the food? Does it come in frozen? Where is it prepared and by whom? Is there a dietician involved in the planning of the meals and special

Points West Living provides home-made meals. We offer Residents a variety of choices, allowing them to enjoy local favorites, familiar foods and specialties. Fresh fruits and vegetables are used when in season. All food is prepared fresh daily, on-site by employee care partners of Points West Living. Employee care partners are trained in food preparation and handling. They prepare food based on a 9-week menu cycle.

Menus are based on the Canada Food Guide and are approved by a Dietary
Technologist. Special diets are available and managed in-house including: low sodium, low calorie, celiac, diabetic, thickened, minced, or pureed.

If the menus are pre-planned, what about holidays, special events, or requests?

While there is a 9-week menu cycle, there is always flexibility within that cycle. All menus are reviewed monthly with special consideration given for holidays, special events and occasions, as well as Residents' requests. Residents are invited to participate actively in a menu review in the spring and fall, so that their preferences are reflected.

Q: Will there be a Physician on staff?

No. Supportive Living is considered community based, not medical facility based.
Residents can maintain their current doctor in the community. Or, we can provide contact information for community physicians who will make house calls to Points West Living Drayton Valley.

Q: Do I need to get my medications from the contracted pharmacy?

Points West Living has a contract with Pharmacare to have reliable dispensing and distribution standards, clinical services, and quality assurance and improvement measures. It is our recommendation that each Resident takes advantage of the high standards and service delivered by Pharmacare.

A Minimum Comparable Pharmacy Services Checklist is available to see if another pharmacy is able to meet the requirements.

Q: Who can reside at Points West Living?

Those wishing or requiring Designated Supportive Living must be assessed by Alberta Health Services. Talk with your current Home Care Case Manager, your family Doctor, or call Health Link Alberta at 811 to complete a self-referral.

Contact Us