Heritage House - FAQ

When did the site open?

This community opened in May 2000. The new addition, Maple Towers, opened July 2017.

What is the rental cost? Is a damage deposit required?

Please see the table below.  All Rates are approximate.
Damage deposits are equal to one months’ rent.

Independent Supportive Living

Independent Supportive Living is designed for adults and seniors who can benefit from some support services, but are able to continue a relatively independent lifestyle. These one and two bedroom suites include a full kitchen.

Type Of Suite Rental Rates Per Month

Maple Towers

1 Bedroom, 1 Bedroom with Den, 2 bedroom


$950 to $1300

Heritage House    

1 Bedroom
2 Bedroom



Additional Person in Suite $150 (Heritage Heights)
$475- $675 (Heritage House) depending on suite
Designated Supportive Living

Eligibility for Designated Supportive Living program is determined through an assessment process by Alberta Health Services. These suites are built in a cottage style configuration, with either 12 or 15 suites grouped together, and a common dining and living room. Suites include a kitchenette, as all meals and snacks are provided in the cottage kitchen.

Type Of Suite Rental Rates Per Month
2 – Bedroom (for couples only) - DSL $2535
Studios - DSL $2132
Supportive Living Suite (SL4) $2132
Additional Person in Suite $150 (Maple Tower)
$475- $700 (Heritage House) depending on suite
Additional DSL Person in Suite $2132


Is there a choice in room size, layout?

There are four styles of suites: 1- Bedroom, 1- Bedroom with Den, 2- Bedroom and Studio

Are appliances included?

All of the independent living suites have a fridge, stove, washer and dryer and in Maple Tower also a dishwasher. 

In the Studio suites there is a microwave and a beverage size fridge.

What services does the rent cover?

Designated Supported Living rent includes weekly light housekeeping, power, heat and water, and three meals per day and snacks; weekly linen services. Extras would include cable, telephone, wi-fi and personal laundry.

The Independent Supportive Living suites have option of adding meals, housekeeping and media package to their rental fee.  

In Maple Towers rent covers all utilities including cable and Wi-Fi.

How often does the rent go up, and by how much?

Rental rates, if they change, would increase 1 time per year. Any increase for Designated Supportive Living suites is based on Alberta Health Long Term Care Room Rental Rates.

Tell us about the staffing. Who will be in charge of the building? Who will be caring for the tenants and what type of care will they provide? What are their qualifications? Where did they receive their training?

There will be Certified Health Care Aides (HCA) providing most of the hands-on personal    care such as bathing, grooming, dressing, toileting, medication assistance and other services to the residents.  Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) will perform nursing care functions, such as injections, wound dressings, and any other tasks that do not fall within an HCA’s scope of practice.

The community will have an experienced Manager managing the day-to-day operations. Support to the Manager will be provided by Connecting Care (the Manager).   Other staff employed by Points West Living will assist with hospitality services, such as food services, housekeeping, and maintenance.

Alberta Health Services will provide Health Care Professionals for case management. The Case Manager, as part of the health care team, in collaboration with Team (resident and family/ guardian, LPN, HCAs), will develop the plan of care to meet the individual resident’s needs and oversee the implementation and evaluation of the plan. On Call services by Registered Nurses will be provided by the Alberta Health Services Home Care program.

Heritage Heights has a call bell/pendant system for emergencies.

Will this site have Home Care in the Independent Supportive Living suites?

Professional Homecare services will continue to be provided by Alberta Health Services. Personal care services will be provided to Independent Supportive Living residents (non- Designated Supportive Living) either by Points West Living Health Care Aides (HCA’s) or by Alberta Health Services Home Care.

Will this site have its own bus service for Doctor's appointments, a bank run, shopping etc. and will there be a fee to use this service?

There is currently no plan to purchase a bus. We will evaluate for a bus based on the services available locally.

What types of on-site Amenities will there be?

Hair Salon; Exercise Space; Spa Tub Room; Multi-Purpose Room; Guest Room-1; Living Rooms; Laundry Rooms; Ample Parking; Patios; Courtyards; Walking Paths and Gardens.

Who provides the food? Does it come in frozen? Where is it prepared and by whom? Is there a dietician involved in the planning of the meals and special diets?

Points West Living provides home-made meals. We offer residents a variety of choices, allowing them to enjoy local favorites, familiar foods and specialties. Fresh fruits and vegetables are used when possible. All food is prepared fresh daily, on-site by staff of Points West Living. Staff are trained in food preparation and handling. The staff prepare food based on a 9-week menu cycle. Menus are based on The Canada Food Guide and are approved by a Dietary Technologist. Special diets are available and managed on site including: low sodium, low calorie, celiac, thickened, minced, pureed, and diabetic.

If the menus are pre-planned, what about holidays, special events, or requests?

While there is a 12-week menu cycle, there is always flexibility within that cycle. All menus are reviewed monthly with special consideration given for holidays, special events and occasions, as well as residents' requests.

Will there be a Physician on call?

No. Supportive Living is considered community based, not medical facility based. Residents would maintain their Physician in the community and would continue accessing physician services in same manner as before moving to Points West Living.

Who can reside at Points West Living?

Points West Living – Designated Supportive Living:
The Designated Supportive Living residents will be assessed by Alberta Health Services through Coordinated Access for Points West Living. Talk with your current Home Care Case Manager, your family Doctor, or call the Alberta Health Services at 1-855-371-4122.

The 54 Independent Supportive Living suites are available to individuals wishing to have the services offered by Points West Living (safe environment, meals, housekeeping, recreation, 24/7 staffing). Please contact the office at 780-603-0853 for more information. Applications are available for download here. After application is completed, please fax to 780-451-0499; or scan and email to info@pointswestliving.com.